Richard S. Thompson, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia (Courtesy photo)

A former U.S. attorney accused of stalking a former girlfriend will remain in jail until the charges against him are adjudicated after a Glynn County magistrate judge revoked his bond.

St. Simons Island lawyer Richard S. Thompson, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia, was in the Glynn County Detention Center in Brunswick after Magistrate Judge Alex Atwood revoked the $10,000 bond that allowed Thompson to remain free for a year on a pending aggravated stalking charge, a court clerk confirmed Friday.

Thompson was jailed July 27 after his former girlfriend filed new charges against him and after he put a gun to his head during a traffic stop.

The new felony warrant was issued based on a complaint filed by his former girlfriend, who secured last year’s warrant after Thompson violated multiple stay away orders.

Mark Spaulding, District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s spokesman, said he had no information on what reasons, if any, prosecutors gave that led to the bond revocation. He would not comment on the status of the 2017 charge.

St. Simons Island attorney Donna Crossland, who represents Thompson’s former girlfriend, declined to comment on the pending cases. Thompson’s attorney, St. Simons Island lawyer Robert Crowe, was not in the office and could not be reached for comment.

Glynn County authorities permitted Thompson to post bond last year, if he agreed to stay away from his former girlfriend and Crossland and followed through with his stated plan to check into a psychiatric facility in Jacksonville, Florida, and undergo a treatment program for people charged with domestic violence offenses.

The 2017 felony stalking charge was pending when Thompson allegedly began following his former girlfriend again two weeks ago—almost exactly a year after his initial arrest. Crossland confirmed that her client swore out a new felony warrant against Thompson on July 26.

Law enforcement authorities were on the lookout for Thompson on July 27 when a Toombs County sheriff’s deputy spotted him driving near Vidalia, where Thompson once had a law practice and his family still owns farmland. Thompson fled when a the deputy attempted a traffic stop.

After turning down a dead-end road, Thompson stopped his car and put a gun to his head, according to Toombs County deputies. Thompson eventually surrendered, and deputies recovered several suicide letters in his car.