Delray Beach’s historic marina district secured a spot on the National Register of Historic Places, a federal list of landmarks of architectural or archeological significance.
The district covers several blocks between Atlantic Avenue, Southeast Fourth Street, Seventh Avenue and the Intracoastal Waterway. It was built primarily between 1922 and 1943 and highlights the designs of prominent architects of that era, including Gustav Maas, Sam Ogren Sr. and John Volk.
Surviving buildings show a range of architectural styles—from Mediterranean to Mission Revival and Art Moderne.
The site is the first Delray Beach historic district to gain national recognition as the city ramps up preservation efforts.
For nearly 30 years, a city ordinance has protected historic neighborhoods and landmarks. Its local register safeguards multiple sites, including the West Settler’s Historic District, the city’s first African-American settlement in 1894, and the Del-Ida Park district, one of the area’s first planned communities.
The marina district joins Sundy House, the Old School Square complex, Milton-Myers American Legion Post No. 65, Seaboard Airline railroad depot and Sandoway House on the list of Delray Beach properties earmarked for preservation as part of the national register.