Connecticut Supreme court building in Hartford. Connecticut Supreme Court building in Hartford. Photo: Natalia Bratslavsky/Shutterstock.com

The Connecticut Supreme Court became the last court in the state to issue a directive saying it was postponing hearing cases, with an announcement from Chief Justice Richard Robinson last week that the 10 cases scheduled for oral arguments for the court’s seventh session would be postponed due to concerns over COVID-19.

In an email sent to the Connecticut Law Tribune, Robinson said oral arguments scheduled to take place from March 24 to April 2 would be heard at a to-be-determined date. He said no decision has been made as to the court’s next session—the final one of the term—which is set to begin April 27. After that, the first term of the 2020-21 session is set begin in September.

Robinson said the court was holding off hearing oral arguments, but said the Supreme Court building in Hartford would remain open.

Robinson said the delay was needed “to promote public and personal health during the COVID-19 crisis.”

Robinson also said that “future assignable cases determined to be priority cases, where delay will work an injustice, will be heard either by video conference, considered without oral arguments if waived by counsel, or will be heard in a courtroom if necessary.”

Robinson’s announcement comes on the heels of similar announcements made for the Connecticut Superior Court, Connecticut Appellate Court and the three federal courts in the state.

Last week, for example, Connecticut superior courts announced delays of all future jury selections and trials through at least April 13. Juries sitting before the March 13 directive would continue in those trials.

Related stories:

Delaware Supreme Court Cancels Oral Arguments Through May Due to Coronavirus Concerns

DC Superior Court Shuts Down Except for ‘Absolutely Essential’ Proceedings After Marshal Tests Positive for COVID-19