Patricia Fragoso of Ventura Law. Patricia Fragoso of Ventura Law.

Attorneys for a New York resident who suffered neck injuries in a head-on collision in Wilton have settled the case for $362,500.

Norman Morey had neck fusion surgery following the May 2014 crash in which a 2002 Chevrolet van crossed into oncoming traffic and struck his 2000 minivan, according to his attorney, Patricia Fragoso. A lawsuit was filed April 2016 in Stamford Superior Court.

The other driver, Brendan Marchese, was driving the family’s company-owned van when—in an attempt to avoid hitting the car in front of him—he swerved out of the southbound lane on Danbury Road, Fragoso said. Marchese was cited by police for failure to grant the right of way.

Morey’s car was totaled, said Fragoso, a partner at Ventura Law.

The case was settled Feb. 14, the same day as jury selection.

“Negotiations were ongoing and we went back and forth for months,” said Fragoso, who added that a September 2016 mediation failed. Both sides were able to resolve the case for $362,500 with the help of Stamford Superior Court Judge Robert Genuario.

“My client is a 37-year-old man who has a permanent disability to his neck because of this accident,” said Fragoso, who added her team had a neurosurgeon on videotape who would have testified Morey’s neck pain and permanent disability are a direct result of the accident.

“To this day, my client continues to have tightness and soreness and pain in his neck,” Fragoso said. “He also has a limited range of motion in his neck.”

Morey, who missed about a week of work at a copy machine installation and maintenance company, returned to work on light duty, Fragoso said. Morey had about $97,000 in medical bills.

The settlement was paid via State Farm insurance, Marchese’s carrier.

Fragoso was assisted on the case by Ventura Law partner Nate Nasser.

State Farm was represented by Michael Connelly, a partner with Murphy Karpie Connelly & Sickinger in Bridgeport. Connelly did not respond to a request for comment Thursday.

“My client is happy with the settlement and happy that the case did not have to go to trial,” Fragoso said.