X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.
BMW, Volkswagen, Deutsche Bank and 14 other German companies withheld $100 million from a fund for victims of Nazi-era forced labor, a lawyer for the victims said during a federal court hearing Tuesday. But the companies said they already fulfilled their financial obligations to the $5 billion reparations fund, which so far has paid $3 billion to 1.5 million people worldwide. Lawyers for the companies also said U.S. courts should not have jurisdiction in the dispute. “This precise issue is beyond the power of this court to resolve,” attorney Roger M. Witten said in Newark federal court. The dispute focuses on how much interest the fund was to have accrued over an eight-month period starting in January 2001. Disbursements from the fund during that time were held up because of a federal judge’s refusal to dismiss U.S. lawsuits against German companies. The lawsuits eventually were dismissed. The fund is administered by a German government-sponsored foundation, “Remembrance, Responsibility and the Future.” A group of 17 German companies collected the $2.5 billion from themselves and an additional 6,000 German businesses. The other half of the fund was paid by the German government. The companies making up the group are the ones being sued over the interest. Lawyers on both sides of the case agreed Tuesday that when the fund was established in December 1999, German companies promised to pay their $2.5 billion share, plus anticipated interest totaling “at least” the equivalent of $50 million. The plaintiffs in the case say the companies owe an additional $100 million in interest accrued during the delay. Plaintiffs’ attorney Burt Newborne told Judge William H. Bassler the interest payment should be increased. “I have never seen the word ‘at least’ construed, ever, to mean ceiling and not a floor,” said Newborne, who was appointed by the United States as a member of the foundation’s 27-member board of trustees to represent victims’ interests. Newborne said he had appealed to the fund’s board, but that a vote was blocked by the foundation’s director. Bassler said he would issue a decision “fairly soon.” Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Benefits of a Digital Membership:

  • Free access to 3 articles* every 30 days
  • Access to the entire ALM network of websites
  • Unlimited access to the ALM suite of newsletters
  • Build custom alerts on any search topic of your choosing
  • Search by a wide range of topics

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

 
 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.