X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.
A senior citizens’ group last week filed a class action RICO suit against Johnson & Johnson and one of its pharmaceutical subsidiaries, alleging inflation of prices charged under Medicare for the drug Remicade. The suit alleges that Johnson & Johnson and Centocor Inc. conspired to cheat the government by inflating the published “average wholesale price” for Remicade, which is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn’s disease. Since Medicare Part B pays just 80 percent of the cost of certain drugs, the suit alleges that the inflated prices were passed on to the senior citizens and their insurers, who pay the remaining 20 percent. The suit also alleges that the manufacturers paid kickbacks and bribes to doctors to increase Remicade’s market share. “This scheme has reaped huge profits at the expense of consumers and third-party payors,” the suit alleges. Attorneys Marc H. Edelson of Hoffman & Edelson in Doylestown, Pa., filed the suit along with Dianne M. Nast of Roda & Nast in Lancaster, Ira Neil Richards of Trujillo Rodriguez & Richards in Philadelphia, Kenneth A. Wexler and Elizabeth Fegan Hartweg of Wexler & Associates in Chicago, and Daniel E. Gustafson of Heins Mills & Olson in Minneapolis. The lead plaintiff in the suit is the Action Alliance of Senior Citizens of Greater Philadelphia, a nonprofit group that is seeking to represent a class that includes any individual or entity that has paid any portion of the Medicare co-payment for a Remicade prescription since 1993. According to the suit, Medicare payments for prescription drugs are calculated on the basis of an average wholesale price, or AWP, that is published in the “Red Book.” The suit says Remicade’s manufacturers inflated the drug’s AWP by reporting “substantially higher” prices than they were actually charging for the drug in the private sector. “The AWP set by defendants does not in any way accurately reflect the plain meaning or reasonable interpretation of the words ‘average’ or ‘wholesale’ that are critical components of that figure,” the suit alleges. The suit also accuses the manufacturers of engaging in a “fraudulent marketing scheme” in which doctors were given free samples of the drug and then encouraged to charge Medicare, patients and insurers for the costs of the free samples. The suit, Action Alliance of Senior Citizens of Greater Philadelphia v. Johnson & Johnson, 02-cv-2076, has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Herbert J. Hutton of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

This content has been archived. It is available exclusively through our partner LexisNexis®.

To view this content, please continue to Lexis Advance®.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber? Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® is now the exclusive third party online distributor of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® customers will be able to access and use ALM's content by subscribing to the LexisNexis® services via Lexis Advance®. This includes content from the National Law Journal®, The American Lawyer®, Law Technology News®, The New York Law Journal® and Corporate Counsel®, as well as ALM's other newspapers, directories, legal treatises, published and unpublished court opinions, and other sources of legal information.

ALM's content plays a significant role in your work and research, and now through this alliance LexisNexis® will bring you access to an even more comprehensive collection of legal content.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]

 
 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.