SUMMARY OF PREVENTIVE OR RESPONSIVE MEASURES
The Centers for Disease Control advise the following steps be taken if a suspicious letter or package is detected prior to being opened:
1) do not shake or empty the contents;
2) place the envelope or package in a plastic bag or some other type of container to prevent leakage, or cover it with anything available, such as clothing, paper, or trash can, and keep it covered;
3) leave the area and close the door or barricade the area to prevent others from entering;
4) wash hands with soap and water to prevent spreading to other places on the body;
5) report to a supervisor or building security and to local police;
6) list all people who may have been exposed to the item and provide the list to those officials for follow up.
If an envelope or package already has been opened and contains powder, or powder spills out:
1) do not clean up the powder, and cover the contents immediately with anything, such as clothing, paper or a trash can;
2) leave the room and close the door or barricade the area to prevent others from entering;
3) wash hands with soap and water and shower with soap and water as soon as possible;
4) report the incident to a supervisor or building security and to local police;
5) remove and store contaminated clothing in a sealed container to be given to emergency officials for follow up;
6) provide a list of all people who may have been exposed to the contaminated item to the law enforcement and emergency medical authorities for follow up and investigation.
This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.
To view this content, please continue to their sites.
LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.
For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]