A federal judge in Washington state has thrown out a lawsuit filed by a man who claimed that he contracted a severe respiratory illness after eating up to seven bags of microwave popcorn each day for 11 years.

A lawyer for one of the defendants, Chr. Hansen Inc., the U.S. division of Chr. Hansen A/S, said the ruling was the first among a handful of consumer suits that attempt to tie microwave popcorn to a disease called bronchiolitis obliterans, or “popcorn lung,” which causes extreme shortness of breath. Several verdicts have been issued in recent years in similar cases involving workers at factories that make microwave popcorn. Many of those have awarded damages to the plaintiffs, with verdicts as high as $20 million.

This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.

To view this content, please continue to their sites.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Not a Bloomberg Law Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]