Defendant Asserting Zoloft Defense Found Guilty of Assault
A Nassau County, N.Y., jury on Wednesday rejected a defendant's claim that withdrawal from the antidepressant Zoloft had driven him to beat up his girlfriend. The jury found Brandon Hampson guilty of three misdemeanor charges, including third-degree assault. Hampson didn't testify at trial, but said in a courthouse interview that his girlfriend had urged him to go off the prescription antidepressant before the Aug. 25, 2006 altercation. Hampson's attorney said he would file a motion to set aside the verdict.
Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.
Benefits of a Digital Membership:
- Free access to 3 articles* every 30 days
- Access to the entire ALM network of websites
- Unlimited access to the ALM suite of newsletters
- Build custom alerts on any search topic of your choosing
- Search by a wide range of topics
*May exclude premium content
Already have an account? Sign In Now