X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Editor’s note: After this article was published in the June edition of The American Lawyer, Turo CLO Michelle Fang released a set of actionable steps for general counsel looking to promote diverse legal talent. 

As minorities see incremental growth in representation within Big Law, black attorney ranks have remained mostly stagnant for nearly a decade, according to The ­American Lawyer’s 2019 Diversity Scorecard. And despite a renewed push for diversity among in-house counsel, black lawyers don’t anticipate sudden changes without a measure of accountability among law schools, law firms and clients.

Since 2011, black lawyers have seen both the slowest growth among the Am Law 200’s ranks—from 3.1 percent to 3.3 percent—and the lowest levels of representation when compared with other minority groups, such as Asian Americans and Hispanics. In that time, total minority representation has risen from 13.6 percent to 16.9 percent.

While most diversity experts would agree that representation among minorities remains far below parity with the total U.S. population, Asian American and Hispanic attorneys make up 7.3 and 4.1 percent of Big Law benches, respectively. Additionally, both have seen a 1.1 percent uptick in representation since 2011.

This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.

To view this content, please continue to their sites.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Not a Bloomberg Law Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]

Dylan Jackson

Dylan Jackson writes about the business of law and race. He can be reached at [email protected] or 305-347-6677. On Twitter @DylanBJackson

More from this author

 
Reprints & Licensing
Mentioned in a Law.com story?

License our industry-leading legal content to extend your thought leadership and build your brand.

Diversity Matters to Clients

How does your firm compare on diversity? Where are your competitors' strengths and weaknesses with Diversity? Use Legal Compass to compare firms on key metrics of race and gender diversity, and find out which firms are Mansfield Certified.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt. Women of Influence Awards 2021Event

GlobeSt. Women of Influence Conference celebrates the women who drive the commercial real estate industry forward.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt. Women of Influence 2021Event

GlobeSt. Women of Influence Conference celebrates the women who drive the commercial real estate industry forward.

Get More Information
 
 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.