X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.
UnitedLex CEO Daniel Reed

Legal services provider UnitedLex is targeting a tie-up with a U.K. law firm on the back of a major deal in the United States in which LeClairRyan outsourced hundreds of its staff to the company.

The deal with LeClairRyan, announced last month, has seen more than 300 of the firm’s employees transfer over to a new joint venture, dubbed ULX Partners.

UnitedLex is now looking to establish a similar arrangement with a U.K. law firm and reportedly has been approached by several U.K. firms about a potential deal.

Law firms that join ULX Partners will receive minority equity stakes in the venture and rely upon it for their legal support functions, including HR, IT, knowledge management, pricing and procuring. They also will benefit from greater access to external capital, as ULX Partners is not constrained by U.S. bar rules prohibiting outside investment in law firms.

UnitedLex CEO Daniel Reed told Legal Week, ALM’s London-based publication, that ideal candidates would be law firms with an innovative outlook and robust capabilities in four key areas—corporate, litigation, real estate and intellectual property.

The company has increased head count in its London base from 10 to 82 over the past two years, with around 70 percent of the team focusing on commercial transactions and documentation and the other 30 percent handling litigation-related work.

Reed said that the U.K. was a key priority for UnitedLex, citing a growing acceptance in the market of new thinking about the ways in which legal services are delivered.

“Law firms need to think about what’s in the best interest of the clients, and to do that, they need to think like the client, and be like the client,” he said. “Law firms can broaden and deepen client relationships by thinking differently about their platform and use of technology.”

UnitedLex last year sealed what was billed as the legal sector’s largest-ever managed services deal with $25 billion U.S. tech company DXC Technology.

That deal saw DXC—a Fortune 200 company formed by the merger of U.S. IT company Computer Sciences Corp. and HP Enterprise’s enterprise services business—transfer a substantial part of its in-house legal team to UnitedLex, with more than 250 UnitedLex professionals supporting DXC’s legal operations.

Such managed legal services deals are relatively rare in the U.K. market, with the most high-profile example being Thames Water, which last year handed a five-year contract to Eversheds Sutherland to provide day-to-day legal work for the company, with a 20-strong Thames legal team transferring over from Berwin Leighton Paisner, which had held the role since 2010.

The company also recently won a major exclusive contract to provide technology services to GE in such areas as legal operations, litigation, investigations, e-discovery, forensics and document review.

This premium content is locked for
Law.com subscribers only.

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?
Interested in customizing your subscription with Law.com All Access?
Contact our Sales Professionals at 1-855-808-4530 or send an email to groupsales@alm.com to learn more.

Ben Wheway

Ben joined Legal Week from the Press Association in 2005 and has since held a number of roles including news editor, online managing editor, production editor and bassist in Legal Week's in-house covers band The Scoops.

More from this author

 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2018 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.