X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Many organizations paying cybercriminals’ ransoms are getting far less than what they bargained for, according to the 2018 Cyberthreat Defense Report.

Released by research and marketing firm CyberEdge Group, the report covered the results of a survey of 1,200 corporate IT security decision makers from companies across 17 countries.  Among the respondents, 77 percent suffered a cyberattack within the past 12 months, down slightly from the previous year.

Dealing with ransomware posed a particular challenge for many enterprises. The majority of respondents, 53 percent, did not pay the ransom, but were still able to recover their data. Meanwhile, 8 percent who did not pay were unable to recover any data. However, among those who did pay the ransom, there was an equal chance of recovering or losing the data completely—of the 39 percent that paid, 20 percent still lost their data, while 19 percent recovered it.

This content has been archived. It is available through our partners, LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law.

To view this content, please continue to their sites.

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Not a Bloomberg Law Subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law are third party online distributors of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® and Bloomberg Law customers are able to access and use ALM's content, including content from the National Law Journal, The American Lawyer, Legaltech News, The New York Law Journal, and Corporate Counsel, as well as other sources of legal information.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at [email protected]

Rhys Dipshan

CT-born, New York-based legal tech reporter covering everything from in-house technology disruption to privacy trends, blockchain, AI, cybersecurity, and ghosts-in-the-machine. Continually waiting for law to catch up with tech. (It's like waiting for Godot, but without the clowns)

More from this author

 
Reprints & Licensing
Mentioned in a Law.com story?

License our industry-leading legal content to extend your thought leadership and build your brand.

Information Security Law: Control of Digital AssetsBook

Information Security Law: Control of Digital Assets provides encyclopedic coverage of both the technologies used to protect a network and the laws and policies that bol...

Get More Information
 

Legal Innovation Awards 2021Event

Celebrate outstanding achievement in law firms, chambers, in-house legal departments and alternative business structures.

Get More Information
 

Legalweek Leaders in Tech Awards 2021Event

Recognizing innovation in the legal technology sector for working on precedent-setting, game-changing projects and initiatives.

Get More Information
 
 

ALM Legal Publication Newsletters

Sign Up Today and Never Miss Another Story.

As part of your digital membership, you can sign up for an unlimited number of a wide range of complimentary newsletters. Visit your My Account page to make your selections. Get the timely legal news and critical analysis you cannot afford to miss. Tailored just for you. In your inbox. Every day.

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.