(Shutterstock)

The New York Times has gone to court to try to get copies of documents created by fired FBI director James Comey after his conversations with President Donald Trump.

The Southern District lawsuit was filed Friday, a day after CNN sued the Justice Department in Washington, seeking the same information. Both actions seek documents Comey told the Senate he created earlier this year immediately after meetings and conversations with the president.

The Times said the government has failed to respond properly to its Freedom of Information Act request for the materials. A spokesman for government lawyers declined to comment.

The Times said it made its FOIA request last month. The newspaper is seeking all memos, emails or other documents in which Comey discussed or memorialized conversations with Trump.

The news organization said the FBI acknowledged receiving the request and denied expedited processing. It said the FBI then failed to respond to the request within 20 business days as required under FOIA.