In the rare cases where courts allow discovery on discovery (i.e., how the opponent preserved, collected, and produced responsive documents), it should be presumed that the requester pays for the responding party's costs to produce this information. [MORE]
There was a problem processing the blog feed.
Is keyword search a filter prefatory to review or a proxy for review? It's a question you'll soon face. [MORE]
The eras of stabilization and mobilization were evolutionary, the era of personalization and Big Data is revolutionary. Are you ready? [MORE]
This week's installment of Tech Circuit brings new assignments for David Curle and Kelli Clark, among others; and a judicial scandal involving unfortunate courtroom attire. [MORE]
I speak on electronic data discovery four to five times per year. It never fails that most of the presenters at these events preach fear as the motivation for learning about e-discovery. Happened just last week. What are the fears? [MORE]
LegalTech West Coast wraps up with Cisco's transparent ethics guides and Lex Machina's big venture capital news; The Recorder holds its second LawTech Day in San Francisco. [MORE]
LegalTech West Coast kicks off Tuesday with keynote from D. Casey Flaherty. Monica Bay interviews Cisco's ethics team and Stanford Law's Roland Vogl. [MORE]
The 9th annual Electronic Discovery Reference Model kickoff meeting wrapped up in Saint Paul, Minn., to set the agenda and direction for the year. All participants agreed that we continue to operate in the 1% bubble and the e-discovery community needs to find better ways to reach out to the other 99%. However, this problem seems to be solving itself. [MORE]
Mother's Day is a great opportunity to treat your favorite mom to a new tech experience.
BeyondRecognition's John Martin says he discovered 7,500+ incidents of privacy invasions in the classic Enron email public database.
Pen and paper is an inferior option for executing legally binding agreements. Yet a recent study commissioned by Adobe Systems Inc. found that 98 percent of surveyed managers "still rely on hard copy in the 'last mile' to deliver contracts to get clients and customers to sign on the dotted line." Such madness needs to cease. Electronic signatures are an idea whose time has long since come. [MORE]