Thirteen firms with Atlanta offices have qualified for Gold Standard Certification this year from the Women In Law Empowerment Forum for having a “meaningful percentage” of women in leadership roles.
That is up from two Atlanta firms in 2011, the first year WILEF certified firms.
The group’s Gold Standard Certification is based on the percentage of a firm’s equity partners, leaders and top earners that are women. To be eligible, a firm must have 200 or more U.S. lawyers.
Four Atlanta-based firms made the cut: Ford & Harrison, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, McKenna Long & Aldridge and Sutherland Asbill & Brennan. Out-of-town firms with an Atlanta office that made the list are: Ballard Spahr; Dentons; DLA Piper; Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner; Holland & Knight; Jackson Lewis; Littler Mendelson; Locke Lord; Paul Hastings; and Schiff Hardin.
Bryan Cave is new to the list while the others were re-certified. Ford & Harrison is notable among the Atlanta firms for meeting all six criteria.
Several large Atlanta-based firms are not on the list—namely King & Spalding, Alston & Bird and Troutman Sanders.
Nationally, 46 firms met the criteria, which required firms to satisfy at least four of six measures:
• women account for at least 20 percent of equity partners;
• women represent at least 10 percent of firm chairs and office managing partners;
• women make up at least 20 percent of the firm’s primary governance committee;
• women represent 20 percent or more of the firm’s compensation committee;
• women make up at least 25 percent of practice group leaders or department heads; and
• women make up at least 10 percent of the top-half of most highly compensated partners.
WILEF’s goal in certifying firms is to be a “change agent for women in law firms to rise within the firm as business developers and leaders,” according to its website.
There is still time to apply for Gold Standard Certification for 2014. The deadline is Aug. 15 to be included in WILEF’s Gold Standards Awards lunch on Sept. 17.
Contacts WILEF’s national chair and co-founder Elizabeth Anne “Betiayn” Tursi at email@example.com for an application.